Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Babette complete, and delivered!

Babette complete
Babette complete, and delivered in Paris to The Baby! It was great to crochet, but those endless ends, and endless seams- less so..... I love the color mix. The Baby seems to like it. My sister-in-law says she likes it. You are all so kind to give such great feedback and I am humbled by the comparisons to Klimt. I have a way to go here... I would never have gotten into it without the help of Barbara, and the famous knit-play-date in May 07... And now, I can relax and go back to my knitting...
At last, at the final destination

Babettes Blanket from Interweave Crochet, Spring 2006
- 3.0 mm
- mostly Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino (KPPPM)
Started May 07, Finished May 08.

Some suggestions:
  1. Don’t “cut corners!" make sure your squares are square!
  2. Leave long tails when you finish a square for joining. that way you can weave in ends and join.
  3. Don’t join when sleepy….
  4. When joining a large section, start at the center, and work in 2 directions. its more even.
  5. Use a blocking board! I could never have done it without one.
  6. At Martha's suggesion, I pinned the sections to an old sheet and thus was able to take it off the floor, “for the duration……” Genius!!
  7. Colors are fun!





27 comments:

Plain Jane said...

Wow! It really came together nicely. Congratulations!!

Dame Wendy said...

So gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing!! Fantastically done!

Jennie said...

It's fantastic!

Bernadette said...

I, also immediately thought of Klimt before seeing others' comments... It is a stunning piece and I know it will be treasured forever! You do amazing work!

Annelie said...

Your blanket is so darn beautiful! Can't stop thinking about art by Gusav Klimt. For example check out his piece "The Maiden".

Nana Sadie said...

Just gorgeous! I love it! And baby looks very happy...
(((Hugs)))

Soo said...

What a lucky baby!

Hilde C. said...

Congratualtions! It looks fabulous! :-)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

I totally missed, during the knitting of this, that it was not for you. I can't believe you gave it away!!! It's awesome.

Anonymous said...

This is extraordinarily beautiful - I totally agree with other commentators about the Klimt comparisions!

Tusa said...

It looks beautiful. Now I know what it can look like. Thank you. Babette was a featured CAL on Ready Set Knit.

Sonya said...

A master work, really. Koigu can never steer you wrong.

aija said...

AMAZING. Just amazing.

Nickerjac said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, the baby is a very lucky one recieving such a wonderful present

Artis-Anne said...

Oh its stunning ,congratulations and what a lucky baby :)

nicolina said...

absolutely beautiful!

Ai Lu said...

I have seen many versions of this blanket, and yours is my favorite. Well done! It makes me want to learn crochet.
~Ai Lu
http://avidalegria.blogspot.com

Ruth said...

It's truly lovely!

Kath said...

That looks wonderful! Well worth all the effort - congrats!!

Alyssa said...

one word, STUNNING!

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't love this? It's amazing!! A wonderful array of colors, and yeah, totally Klimt. Congrats on an amazing work of art.

Mary, Mary... said...

Ok, seeing the picture of the baby with the blanket was totally worth all of you effort. Simply stunning.

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Have to admit Klimt leapt into my mind too but I'd better not mention it, since everyone else has! A spectacular piece of colour work and you should be jolly proud of it. How to follow THAT?

Anonymous said...

what more to add? It is just stunning.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous - it is very reminiscent of Klimt but my immediate reaction was that it remonded me of a Hundertwasser painting!