Saturday, November 10, 2007

Bicycle Helmet Liner

I got the idea for a Bicycle Helmet Liner from the Helmet Liner I made for a soldier. For my bike helmet I wanted it thin, so I knit it with the wonderful Alpaca Sox yarn from Classic Elite. 60% Alpaca, 20% Merino Wool, 20% Nylon, 100 grams, 450 Yards. Needles: addi circs 0,1,2 (don't ask...) I modified the pattern for the thinner yarn, which landed me in trouble, since I did not knit a swatch. I ended up doing short rows and improvising right and left. it worked, but I will not be able to repeat it. Next time, (and I will make another), I'll know better! It feels wonderful to knit with and to wear, and you feel very cozy, yet its thin! This yarn will be making more appearances on this blog soon!
124.365

125.365
cosy
spider wed top
helmet liner as a hat
helmet liner as neck warmer

17 comments:

Lone said...

Great helmet liner - I need one for my winter biking. How many stitches have you used for the sock yarn?

PlazaJen said...

It looks fabulous! I need to mail my helmet liner off - and then knit one for my hubby, who liked it. It all looks so "brisk" in the photos! (Our fall has been unseasonably warm - I've only had the heat on once, for less than 24 hours, and then turned it back off again. At least the bill will be lower, maybe counteract the a/c bills from the summer!)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I'll have to try one one of these days.

Annie said...

I love how you can transform it to whatever you need! And the swirl on the crown is so cool. Love the edging. Very cool project!

Harlem Purl said...

Great helmet liner. I usually keep a small notebook that I scribble in around my craft area. Most of the time I think I'll remember how many short rows I put in something or some other alteration that I did but I always forget. The only problem is trying to decipher my own chicken scratch. Hope to see the pattern next time.

Dave said...

Wow -- very cool!!

Lara 900 said...

that's very cool! need to make one for myself, even if Paris never gets as cold as New York...

Annelie said...

Looks great! My son would love to wear something like that when riding his bike to school. Maybe I should give it a try?

Devorah said...

Very cool! Thanks for the great idea!

Jennie said...

It looks awesome! I love the swirl at the top. :)

Knittypants said...

What a great, practical idea. And I love the swirling at the back, so cool.

Anonymous said...

Love the swirl! This is a great knit and so useful too!

aija said...

I love the look of the yarn in the back! Very nice :)

gail said...

What a wonderful helmet liner. Absolutely inspired. And needed in winter. Hmmm, I need to make one and you've inspired me.

Nana Sadie said...

Great idea! It looks very warm...
(((hugs)))

Strumpstickan said...

Ser varmt och skönt ut!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea!